Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Deck the Halls Part III

Sometimes the unexpected Christmas trees are the best ones.  Last year I created this Christmas tree for my granddaughters' enjoyment.  I named it The Snow Queen.  This is how I went about creating it...


I started with an iron dress form.  Next I gathered lighted greenery garlands and attached them at the 'waist' of the form and looped down, then up.  Next, I took tulle and wrapped it around the bodice of the dress form, creating a 'blouse' for my Snow Queen.  I then took garlands of clear beads and hung them from waist over the greenery, looping in the same fashion as I did the greenery garland.  The top of the form had a small opening---where you'd expect to find a head.  I made a bouquet of crystal stems and slipped it inside the opening.  The center of the iron dress form has an opening and a shelf.  In that space I placed a Santa adorned in ivory and gold.  The girls were enchanted by my Snow Queen!  

This year I made another Christmas tree, using the same dress form.  I haven't been able to capture a good picture of her, as she's in the window display at Country Mile Warehouse and Cow Palace Emporium.  Between the glare of the sun and the reflection of lights on the window, taking a decent photo is impossible. I'll describe it as best I can---or you can drive by 101 Story Avenue and check it out for yourself!  I followed the same design, except this time I used red tulle for her bodice, and I let the fabric trail down from her shoulders, as if her dress had a train.  I created a belt or sash for the dress with wide ribbon and attached Christmas ornaments to the ends of the ribbon.  If I'm able to capture a photo that is halfway decent, I'll post it here later.  

What have unusual Christmas tree have you created?

3 comments:

  1. I created one last year that my adorable grand monkeys were going to help with. They did about 12 links of a colored paper chain, said they were done so I just assumed they are minimalists when it comes to Christmas decorations. I am totally one too appreciate others style, so I enjoyed it just the way it as. Not to be one too destroy such beauty, the next person I gave that tree to hot it just as they had decorated it. It was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed your comment. I love that you call your grands the 'grand monkeys'! So cute!! And I'm a firm believer in allowing creative style. That encourages imaginations!

      Delete
  2. I created one last year that my adorable grand monkeys were going to help with. They did about 12 links of a colored paper chain, said they were done so I just assumed they are minimalists when it comes to Christmas decorations. I am totally one too appreciate others style, so I enjoyed it just the way it as. Not to be one too destroy such beauty, the next person I gave that tree to hot it just as they had decorated it. It was lovely.

    ReplyDelete