Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Artists, Artisans and Craftsmen

From the beginning, it was my goal to represent as many artists, artisans and craftsmen from the Florence area as possible.  The bonus for me was that the merchandise in my shop would be unique and, in many cases, only found within the walls of Cow Palace Emporium.  I'm happy to say that my goal is quickly coming to fruition!

Over the next few weeks, I want to introduce you to a few of the artists, artisans and craftsmen whose work I display.

BB Barrick...A native of the High Plains, Bill Barrick was raised on the family farm near Abernathy, but recently moved to Florence where he is remodeling a building he moved onto his property for use as his art studio.  Known around Texas and the nation as a leading chronicler of life in the developing Southwest, his ability to capture on canvas the spirit of rural America with its stark beauty, hardship, and simple joys is the driving force and appeal of his art.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill about three years ago, while organizing the Florence Community Art Show.  Not only was Bill willing to display his work at our Art Show, he offered to set up his own rolling art display boards on which to display many of the other artists' work.  He went a step further and insisted upon hanging the other artists' work.  A very generous and helpful man, indeed!

Since our initial introduction, I've gotten to know even more about Bill.  He is an active member of his church and volunteers for many of the programs benefiting the Florence community, including helping with litter pickup through our Adopt A Street Program, and the distribution of food and gifts for the less fortunate during the holiday season.

I'm very fortunate to own a BB Barrick original, which hangs above the fireplace in my home.  Here are a few of his prints that are on display in Cow Palace.




I invite you to drop by the shop and see Bill's work in person, as my photography skills fall short of capturing the beauty of his work.  All his prints are professionally framed, as well as signed by the artist.  I think you will agree that Bill not only possesses an outstanding talent, he is a skilled chronicler of America's past, and a heck of a nice guy, to boot.







No comments:

Post a Comment